Ironically, this is an electronic copy of a hardcopy of an electronic document (a scan of a printout of an Illustrator file :-). The only thing extra you get that's not on the original is my signature. Also, it's a bit grey (For all my pieces, my attempts at colour matching have been absolutely non-existant). The hard copy is number one of a (very) limited edition of two prints. I'm keeping the other.
Anyway, the first notes I had for planeterry's piece were:
I think I was planning to attempt another collage like this. However, then along came andrewmacrae and his typewriter art and I started thinking about text. At first I was still thinking about doing a physical collage, but using text instead of colour (for some reason I kept imagining a shell like this). I even considered completely ripping off Andy and doing ASCII art just like his (sans typewriter, although I have one now). But then, as I was sorting out the recycling, I came across this picture (from a free newspaper from the British Library). Well! Obviously that was it. By this time I'd also started doing some of my experiments with text in Illustrator and I thought I was ready to start doing something a little more complex.
The first step was draw a line sketch that I could import. This got scanned and then I used it in Illustrator. It was pretty low tech - the sketch was on one layer and I drew over the top in other layers. The main elements are clipping masks made up from different textures formed using different fonts. At first all the textures spelt out 'planeterry', but in then end I added a few other, lighter, textures made from other suitalbe words, like http:// and www. My favourite bit is the tiny planeterry stars. Printing it out was almost the hardest bit! Getting my el cheapo printer to print out the image in the middle of an A4 piece of paper took some trying.
I think I spent the longest time on this piece. Firstly, Illustrator is quite labour intensive - particularly making up the clipping masks. But also, if you make a mistake, you can undo and try again. And again. With the other pieces there is no undo if you make a mistake - you just keep going and try and hide it as best you can (or start again). It was great though. I think both the picture and the style really suits planeterry. And I'm definitely interested in making more art out of text.
PS: Sometime after I finished, I came across this calender, which kinda takes 'art from text' up a level again. I think the images are fantastic and I want to try this too (but perhaps not making nekkid women ;-)
 And I appear to have forgotten to put the 'r' in !!
 Not including all the scrappy draft printouts, of course. The final prints are on some *beautiful* archival quality inkjet paper, made from cotton fibres and with a velvet finish.
Actually, these pics have already been on the blog... :-)